No one can stay in a funk when they turn on a happy song and dance. When you need a creative kick-start or have a happiness SOS moment, you don’t want to have to come up with a solution on the spot. Preparation is key! That’s why taking some time to choreograph your own happy dance is such an excellent creativity-boosting strategy.
When you’re designing your dance, you’ll have a blast of fresh energy that comes from thinking with a different part of your mind. Chances are, choreography isn’t one of your daily tasks, so the process will feel novel and will likely remind you of being a kid. After you’ve designed your dance, you will have a solution in your back pocket anytime you feel your energy lagging.
- Choose a favorite song.
- Clear some space to move.
- Turn on your song. Experiment with different steps as you listen.
- Go through the song piece by piece, adding movement. Simple movement is perfectly fine. Remember, this is a happy dance! You’re supposed to have fun with it.
- Big movement tends to be more fun than small movement.
- Repeat patterns to keep things simple.
- Listen to the words for inspiration. Many words or phrases provide excellent ideas for simple gestures.
- If you have kids, make your dance together! Your happy dance can be a gloom-buster for the whole family.